Saturday, February 2, 2008

CCTV lenses

The CCTV lenses just arrived today. I'm doing some research, trying to determine the best conditions to create a laser webcam rangefinder The reason I'm modifying it is that in my lighting conditions, unless I have most of the lights off, and do some filtering, I the red dot is never the brightest pixel. I've found that because of the IR filter used on cameras, the brightness of the laser point is greatly reduced. To remedy this, I bought a set of 6 lenses in sizes 2.8,3.6,6,8,12, and 16mm, with an F2.0. I'm currently using these on a labtec webcam pro. I bought a whole slew of them off of ebay for my CS department. I've found that the 3.6mm F2.0 lens creates an image most like the one I originally used. The reason I'm doing this is that these lenses come without an ir-filter, which basically allows you to see infrared. So if you're interested in doing the FreeTrack webcam mod for the Labtec Webcam Pro, I suggest you order the 3.6 lens. It will avoid you the problem of having to polish off the IR filter which isn't pretty. Only problem is that the original tube that allows the camera to screw on has a large space without threading, which means that although the lens will work for the camera, I had to cut the tube to make it fit. Which in my mind is much better than polishing off the filter, but if I figure out anything new I'll post it.

No comments: